A few days ago, a friend of mine sent me a fun Facebook questionnaire called 'The Bucket List'. For those of you who don't know what a bucket list is, let me enlighten you and invite you out from under the rock you've apparently been living under...
A bucket list is a list of things to do before you "kick the bucket." Now, I have always had a semblance of a bucket list that I've had in my head... my 'before 40' list... but a bucket list is a little different- a little more grandiose.
That fun little Facebook thing really got me thinking... what do I want to do before I leave this life? Morbid, but actually kind of fun to consider. So, I invite you inside my mind to check out my list... enjoy!
- Run the Boston Marathon. Yep, you read that right. This (not as) fat runner has Boston aspirations. Not to win my age group. Not for glory. Just to say that I took this body somewhere that no one, least of all me, thought it could go.
- Ziplining. Yep, even though I am terrified of heights, I have an overwhelming urge to zipline. Preferably in Costa Rica. Or Hawaii. Or Colorado. Yeah, pretty much anywhere. I want to feel the wind in my face, see the earth zip by, and know that the freedom of that moment is mine, and mine alone.
- Scuba diving. I have an extreme need to be near water- growing up in the desert will do that to you- and somehow, scuba diving seems like something I would love. Something in my soul sings at the thought of being surrounded by water, and the amazing life that thrives in our oceans.
- High performance driving! I have a need.. a need... for SPEED. Whoops, sorry about the cheesy movie reference... but in all seriousness, I want to drive, and drive FAST. I want to do a lap on a race course, doing the max speed I can get out of the car. I love going fast, and since my slow running doesn't get me there (ha ha ha), I might as well employ technology to get there, right? Right.
- Summit mountains- big mountains! Oh come on, I live in Colorado, is this one really all that surprising? I think it's something they pump into our water... that bug we have to conquer the mountains that are so prevalent in this beautiful state... but I long to have summit pictures, and a lot of them- from all over the world. Yeah. Definitely.
- Run for LIFE. Yep, I want to run until the day I die. I want to run forever... never want to use my age as an excuse to not be on the road. I want to run until I am the oldest runner in the race, still pushing on- slow, and STILL loving every single step.
So there you have it... my list. It's short. A living document- ever changing, and evolving as I grow up... well, sort of. I don't ever REALLY want to grow up... I think kids have it right- play, learn, enjoy life. It's too short to do otherwise.
So... what's on YOUR bucket list? :)